Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I'm a CVT. Just lost Dane to a bleed out. No poison

Customer Question

Hi Doc Bennett.
I'm a CVT. Just lost Dane to a bleed out.
No poison involved, presented with 2 bouts of vomiting in the morning, hiding inot a dark room in afternoon. Went into shock and bled out rectally Euthanized immediately. Had eaten a chew bone that morning. Thoughts, please. 9 yr.old spayed female. Healthy!
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question about differentials for shock and severe rectal hemorrhage, we do have a few. If anti-coagulants can be excluded, the most common reason in elderly dogs would be a cancer reaching a critical level such that it triggers tumor lysis syndrome. This is basically where the body is bombarded by toxins/chemicals from the cancer cells and we tend to see the body react in this way. I would note that GI lymphoma is quite notorious for this; but hemangiosarcomas and pheochromocytomas can also cause this.

Otherwise, we can see these same type of signs of Roxie had a bone marrow issue. If a cancer destroyed the marrow or even her natural platelet making functions became compromised, this can trigger a sudden fatal bleed. Similarly, disseminated intravascular coagulopathy, immune-mediated hemolytic anemia or thrombocytopenia could also cause this. Finally, there are some tick borne issues (ie ehrlichiosis, spotted fever) that can impair clotting in this manner and can be vague prior to doing so.

Therefore, we do have a few concerns for her tragic signs. In this case, you may wish to speak to her vet about which they may have felt more likely given what they saw when she presented. Otherwise, it may be worth discussing an autopsy to allow you to pinpoint which was to blame and give you closure for her sudden loss.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )