Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 50 pound labdoodle ate 600 mg of ibuprofen 30 min ago, 2

Customer Question

my 50 pound labdoodle ate 600 mg of ibuprofen 30 min ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 2 years old, Moxie
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Moxie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Moxie?
Customer: good health. just went for a walk, pee twice then I gave her some bread to get her to drink water.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While not the best pain killer for dogs this drug is sometimes prescribed by vets at a dose rate of up to 4 mg per pound of bodyweight meaning a top dose of 200 mg for Moxie. So 600 mg is clearly an overdose.

2. Where a dog takes an overdose of any drug not intended for it then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. As far as toxicity goes the toxic dose of ibuprofen for stomach ulcers is 100 mg/ per kg of bodyweight for dogs and the toxic dose of ibuprofen for kidney failure is 300 mg/kg. The dose your dog took was 26.4 mg / kg so things may not be too bad. But if you do not manage to induce vomiting it might be an idea to see your vet ASAP to get some form of drug to protect your dog's stomach lining. Alternatively you could use Pepcid at a dose rate of 0.5 mg / pound of your dog's bodyweight twice a day for three or four days.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Moxie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Ibuprofen ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?