Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is digging on her right hip and has gotten it bloody

Customer Question

My dog is digging on her right hip and has gotten it bloody and it looks like it is getting infected. I try to put antibiotic ointment on it and she crys in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ashley, she is 11 years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ashley?
Customer: this all started Friday, She's had skin problem before but not like this.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Ashley. It sounds as if she has caused a "hot spot" (pyotraumatic dermatitis) - an ulcerated and infected skin lesion due to persistent excoriation of the area. This is best addressed systemically with a glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone which breaks up the suspected allergic "attack" (flea saliva allergy, allergies to environmental allergens, e.g.) that usually underlies these skin lesions. A systemic antibiotic may or may not be prescribed by Ashley's vet. Most important, until Ashley can be attended to (clip and clean the area, spray on a steroid/antibiotic product, initate those systemic drugs I mentioned) she'll need an Elizabethan collar (the "cone of shame") which will prevent her from further excoriating that area. These can be found in most pet/feed stores.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What if the area looks like it is getting infected?

It is infected but I don't want you to cause her pain by manually washing that superficial infection away or applying topical ointments. Let her vet attend to it. You're likely to be sent home with a spray that controls both infection and swelling so you won't need to touch that ulcerated skin that would have already been cleansed of hair, debris and pus for you. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you I'll take she to the Vet tomorrow.

You're welcome. Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK thanks.

I appreciate it!