Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

She went to be groomed yesterday at Pet Smart and ever since

Customer Question

she went to be groomed yesterday at Pet Smart and ever since we picked her up she moving real slow and just wants to lay down. Today the left side of her neck is swollen with a orange size lump. It does not seem to bother her when we examined it but just wants to lay and panting a lot.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she is a 9 or 10 year old australian shepard. we took her from people who could no longer care for her. She is very calm and even tempered and just follows me wherever I go. Have been healthy but the last 2 weeks we have had bouts of vomiting and diarrhea as well. I have been feeding her chicken n rice or hamburger and rice and she seemed to be fine. Now this has happened.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you attach a picture showing where the lump is located?
2) Is she on any medications at this time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I Cant get a pic to upload and she just started to have diarrhea again??

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, a set of links will appear. You can then post the link back and I can access them.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok 20161002_130024

I'm not seeing the area with the lump, is it under her jawline?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the left side of the jowel and all under her neck on the left side. she does not look like this normally

With the jowl associated, we must worry that a tooth root could be infected. The lymph node could also be enlarged on that side if infection is present. Another concern we have with an enlarged lymph node (present in the neck below the jawline) is cancer, such as lymphoma.

I suspect that her going slow today is either due to the tenderness in this area or even due to soreness from the groom yesterday. The diarrhea could certainly be due to stress.

While a veterinary visit is recommended, I can give you some things to try at home.

To help with the diarrhea: a bland diet for a few days. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

If you are concerned about pain, she is not on any other medications with no known illnesses, you can try aspirin in a pinch. This should help her walk less slowly and alleviate discomfort. Dosing info for aspirin: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?