Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He is diabetic and we have given him his normal dose of

Customer Question

He is diabetic and we have given him his normal dose of insulin but his blood sugar is still at 500
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Simba
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Simba?
Customer: He is taking novolin n 25 ul
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 22 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now if you have ruled out any issues of administration (ie giving the insulin, trying another bottle to rule out any issues with the insulin itself, etc), then we'd be wary of Simba's diabetes potentially secondary to an underlying issue. Often Cushing's disease (a condition where the body produces too much steroid) can lead to situations like this. Less common issues like acromegaly (an overproduction of growth hormone), or pancreatic disease (ie severe pancreatic inflammation. abscesses, masses, or compression from other organs) can do so as well. Therefore, if he isn't responding to his insulin we need to make sure everything is normal with your giving it but would otherwise need to speak to his vet about these other concerns and potentially test for them. Depending on which is present, he may need that addressed too to allow you to stabilize (or even settle in some cases) his diabetes for him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 19 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.