Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Is a three week old maltishitzu that has three other

Customer Question

Is a three week old maltishitzu that has three other siblings when he was born, he was one of the quiet one until this afternoon when he started to cry intermittently and have not completely stop yet. I rubbed his bottom with a warm rag but he has not have a vowel movement yet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: I don't care about the noise, I just feel that he is sick and feel bad that I don't have the knowledge to making better, the dog don't have a name yet, thanks
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about yet?
Customer: No, the mother have been taking good care of all four of them, I think he might be constepated
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 24 days ago.

My name is*****’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health/ behavioral fields for 19+ years. It will be my pleasure to work with you.

There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your pup. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help.

At three weeks of age, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing much else. If that doesn't take care of the situation, I would have him seen by your vet.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 15 days ago.

Just to followup and see how the little one is doing? Did you find my answer helpful? With weaning you are liable to see more of the pups having difficulty defecating.