How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 19147
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

He ate a cliff chocolate mint builder bar. He's 27lbs, This

Customer Question

He ate a cliff chocolate mint builder bar. He's 27lbs
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if He 's will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about He 's?
Customer: This is it
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I wouldn't worry about this too much the chances are your dog will be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. The other ingredients in this product are non toxic to dogs by the way.

2. You see the rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate your dog's weight as being in the region of 27 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 18.9 ozs { More than one pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. And of course in your case chocolate is not the main ingredient, probably just a flavouring. LINK

3. There are no special measures you need take in this sort of situation, but in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

4. Here is a link to an accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog so you can confirm the above and read more on the subject : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chocolate bar incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.