Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Several times in the last week, my dog eats, then suddenly

Customer Question

Several times in the last week, my dog eats, then suddenly throws up, then immediately for 3-6 hour period is drooling, constantly getting up and laying down. Muscle weakness lethargic. Drool is clear, normal. No interest in food or water (she is naturally picky). Unless she is eating cat feces from the litter it doesnt seem there is an object she has eaten. After an episode like this ends her appetite and energy is low for a few days. This has been going on for 2 weeks and this is happening for the third time. I just moved the cat litter up high, but the onset is so sudden and pupils are normal so not thinking toxoplasmosis. Temperature seems normal, a little bloated.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 21 days ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. There is cause for concern if a dog vomits food back up immediately and if they are an eater of non food items.

What you have to worry about is is one of those items has not caused a full or partial blockage of the intestines which will not allow food to pass through.

The only way to know this is to have an x ray done. If there is a partial blockage then surgery will be needed.

Drooling is a symptom of nausea and the fact that hi gets up and down says there may be discomfort in the belly.

Weakness could be due to the vomiting.

IF this is clumping cat litter all the more worrisome for an obstruction.

Here is more on obstruction.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 21 days ago.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It is clumping cat litter. The only blockage potentially she could have gotten into, weve been keeping a close eye on everything. She is relaxing now, lethargic and weak, little uncoordinated. When do you think I should be alarmed enough to make a trip to the ER? Again I moved the litter out of reach and am changing the food that I recently bought before she started doing this. Would you say that if symptoms do not worsen I could save a trip to the vet?
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thats my last question. Right now she is relaxing drooling, very tired. Generally speaking, I know your not here, is it safe to assume that keeping a close eye on symptoms, and as long as they dont worsen, if thats fairly safe or not, considering after skimming your links, I feel confident that this is either from her food or the clumping cat litter. Thank you SO MUCH for your helpful advice about my little baby!
Expert:  Sally G. replied 21 days ago.

To be sure take her vitals, gum color, capillary refill time, and temperature. I will direct you to a link on how to do this. If any of it is off then see a Vet.

Also because of the vomiting try to rub a little pancake syrup on the gums to keep the blood sugar up and use an eye dropper or spoon and just dribble some water between the cheek and gums so she gets some hydration.

What is Normal in dogs

Expert:  Sally G. replied 18 days ago.
Hi Howard,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gypsy. How is everything going?

Sally G.