Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

I am very worried about my dog. He is a 4 months Pitbull

Customer Question

Hello! I am very worried about my dog. He is a 4 months Pitbull (about to be 5 months in 4 days) & he seems very odd. His ears pink, breathing a little heavy, and wobbles his head (like he has Parkinson Disease). My boyfriend and I took him to the vet and they wanted to keep him overnight but the bill was not affordable. They ran a drug test and said no marijuana in his system which they first suspected because of the way he was acting. Stood in a weird stance like his hind legs were weak, and he was howling. They gave him an IV and gave him back to us. He seemed lively but still shook. I put syrup on his gums just in case his blood sugar was low. His ears are still pink and he wobbles his head back and forth. He is sleeping right now.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 23 days ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to hear about your Pittbull's recent panting and apparent neurological abnormality. My first thought here too was a toxicity of some kind.

Were you able to do any bloodwork on him? That is key for sure, even if you cannot hospitalize him overnight.

Also when did his symptoms first present?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No blood work.About 2:30 today. He checked a head bud off of a pair of headphones so he was put in his cage for about 30 mins. When he was let out that's when he sat on his mat and was wobbling and wouldn't come over to me when I called him.

Ok. Toxicity is the most likely cause of this. Bloodwork would have helped to determine the extent of damage, if any, is happening to his organs. In particular his liver. The treatment to help pets with toxicity is typically IV fluid therapy and treating the symptoms. If he can't be hospitalized then unfortunately you are left with just monitoring him at home to see if perhaps he can rid the potential toxin on his own over the next 24-48 hrs.

The blodowork could have also determined if his glucose levels are low and if you should continue to give him supplemental sugar. Is bloodwork at least something you think you could get done for him, even if he can't be hospitalized?

- Dr. H

At least they were able to get some fluids in him. This will help with diuresis of any potential toxin in his system. However continuous fluids are optimal.

It seems as though all his other vitals checked out ok at the vet? His heartrate, breathing, etc? Just the instability and ataxia remain?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No tempature or any breathing problems. He is up right now but stretches a lot.. shakes a tadp

Ok. Great. It seems that the only system that is affected is his nervous system. Which is good in the sense that none of the life threatening systems are currently affected, like his heart or lungs. However I am unsure of any other internal injuries to his liver o kidneys without bloodwork.

I guess then the only option besides hospitalization, bloodwork, is monitoring him for now. If this is the extent of the effects of his potential toxin exposure, then he can consider himself lucky in that sense. Toxicities usually will subside within 24-72 hrs depending on what he got into. But the symptoms should improve gradually over time and not get any worse, which would warrant taking him back to the vet for further supportive care.

He really should have been sent home on some muscle relaxers; however without doing bloodwork they probably were unable to do so.

- Dr. H

You can perhaps call back and see if they will consider a mild sedative for him.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today concerning your pet? I hope he recovers soon from this apparent toxicity exposure.

* Please don't forget to leave me a rating before you go, for my service today. Thank you so much for your feedback!*

Best regards,

Dr. H