Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My mini dachshund tried jumping off the couch, got caught,

Customer Question

My mini dachshund tried jumping off the couch, got caught, and landed into a plastic cat toy face first. It knocked out his two upper teeth (the smaller ones between his canines). He knocked them clear out, there was minimal bleeding, but I'm super worried (I'm a person medic, not an animal medic!) Any suggestions?
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Veterinarian will figure it out.
Customer: You mean Jennifer?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: Oh okay, this is automated. He is 5 months old, is calm right now, and seems to be in no pain. Lets me look into his mouth it very little trouble.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 24 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

At 5 months, he may have been lucky enough that these weren't permanent teeth. In any case, dogs do just fine when missing a few. I would recommend a brief exam with your vet and letting them look the teeth over that were knocked out. If the full root of the tooth is present, no surgery may be needed aside from potentially closing the sockets. If they aren't fully present, your vet will likely need to drill the roots out and then close the sockets. Antibiotics and pain medication are wise in a situation like this.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: