Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

We have a small dog that ate some garlic powder. 7 months.

Customer Question

we have a small dog that ate some garlic powder.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: 7 months. ***** *****
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about russell?
Customer: no
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 20 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Do you know how much garlic powder was consumed and when?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It was a couple sprinkles in water. He drank it lastnight and today did throw up some grass and yellow liquid.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Should we be concerned, or anything to do now?

This tiny amount of garlic powder isn't enough to concern yourself over. It may, however, have contributed to an upset stomach. To help with the vomiting, you can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok, so there is no concern about it being toxic or bad for his blood

Garlic powder is often used in food and for flavoring for dogs. Large amounts can lead to problems, but a small sprinkle of garlic powder is not concerning, no.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?