Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My old girl is 12 yrs old and a husky golden retriever mix.

Customer Question

Hi, my old girl is 12 yrs old and a husky golden retriever mix. Her arthritis is getting bad in her back legs to where its hard for her to stand up and go up steps. I've been giving her asprin and glucosamine/chondritin. Wondering what the next step is? She's healthy otherwise.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No her back paws are fine. It's her back legs.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Mandy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mandy?
Customer: No she's good otherwise considering her age. Her once magnificent husky tail looks terrible but i think it's just age
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What does of each are you giving? How often?

What does she weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She did weigh 89 lbs but is now about 75 lbs. I give her two 325 mg coated asprin twice a day. She also takes Thyrosin twice a day for thryoid issue.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am trying to keep my cost down so it would be better for me to stay online.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Previcox has been recommended for her. How safe is it?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,
Now if she has started struggling with OTC treatment, then a prescription non-steroidal treatment like Previcox or Metacam or Onsior. These can give or arthritic dogs a new lease on life and are safe when used appropriately. As well, other pain relief options like Tramadol or Gabapentin can be used with these to keep them comfortable.

Otherwise, I would note that if she is 89lbs, you could give up to 890mg every 12 hours ag be after food if need be. So you could try that at the moment as long as her stomach does tolerate the Aspirin.

Finally, further to the glucosamine and chondroitin, you could use Duralactin a very good otc joint support.Overall, if she is struggling then we do need to take the next step. So you can adjust her Aspirin dose and consider Duralactin but otherwise those Pprescription options would be ideal.
Please take care,
Dr. B
------------------------------------
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you saying that the previcox is safe and not harmful to the kidneys? Also are you suggesting that I stop the glucosamine and use duralactin in place and does it require a prescription?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

I am not suggesting you stop the Glucosamine/chondroitin, it can be used with those other options. As for any non-steroidal medications (Previcox or the others) are not actively harmful to healthy kidneys when used appropriately. If you have any concerns about her kidney health, then you can have your vet test a urine sample's specific gravity (since dilution is an early stage sign of kidney struggles) before use. Finally, the non-steroidals are all prescription, so if you use those instead of the OTC options we discussed then you will need a vet that has examined her in person to provide a prescription (since an online pharmacy can cost less) for these for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B
------------------------------------

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much! ����
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for you both,

Dr. B
------------------------------------
Afterwards, please make sure to rate my help ( using the stars or typing a rating) as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you. :)