Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Our 9 month old sheltie has had diarrhea for a few days. He

Customer Question

our 9 month old sheltie has had diarrhea for a few days. He is a very panicky eater. We tried the home remedies of rice but after a few sniffs refused to eat more. We tried pumkin filling and after a few licks refused that. Our vet gave us food and he had one meal of that and started to have normal bm's. Now he is refusing to eat the vet food. If we give him pruina puppy chow he has diarrhea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Cunbby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cunbby?
Customer: Just a very picky eater is there some food that he can recommend. Cubby is very active and he is drinking water or ice pieces
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 23 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has any protein been tried with the rice such as boiled or baked chicken, ground turkey, lean beef, low-fat cottage cheese?

2) What food was given to you by your vet?

3) What was he eating before the diarrhea started?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
1) no
2) don't have can with me but vet food for weight loss? ( I question vet helper and she said this food was appropriate for Cubby's issue.
3) Purina puppy food (Little over 1 cup a day)and milk bones approx. 4-5 times a week, about four ounces of turkey breast and 0ne ounce of cheese a week

The best thing to do in regulating any bowel concern is to cut out all fatty human food, that includes cheese and turkey breast (assuming it's lunch meat, real protein that is unadulterated is fine). Now and in the future. If you do want to continue to use cheese, aim for the lowest fat product that you possibly can or you may wind up predisposing Cubby to pancreatitis.

With the rice or pumpkin that you're feeding, you can add in protein. Below is my favorite recipe. You can vary the protein and the carbohydrate source every few days if it's what Cubby prefers. Rotations might include rice, pumpkin, quinoa, oatmeal, etc. Proteins might include chicken breast without skin, ground turkey, lean ground beef, fish fillets like tilapia, swai, salmon, etc.

Bland diet: To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

The food that you were given is likely W/D. Ask your vet about I/D, as well. As I mentioned above, if Cubby is becoming bored with food choices you can rotate the options to keep him eating. Once his GI upset is improved, you can very slowly switch him back to his regular food. This should take 10 days. Day 1, feed 90% bland diet, 10% new diet. Day 2: 80/20. Day 3: 70/30, etc.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 20 days ago.

Checking in, JA Customer. How is your companion doing?