Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a soon to be 4yr old lakeland terrier. I've noticed a

Customer Question

I have a soon to be 4yr old lakeland terrier. I've noticed a sore on his top lip right under his nose for 2 days. It's red and looks like it may have a head on it. It looks a little more serious than a pimple. Looks more like a fever blister or canker sore.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the Lakeland terrier's name?
Customer: Cosmoe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cosmoe?
Customer: His apetite is good. No change there or in his bowel/bladder habits and his behavior is fine. He doesn't actually like the lesion bothers him. But if I squeeze it or put a little pressure on it, he squirms.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 25 days ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this "sore" to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The images are posted below. It the top lip right under his nose, but at different angles.

Thank you. Give me a moment to take a look, please.

Wonderful pics, thank you. If this came up quickly, it's likely to be a histiocytoma - a benign neoplasm of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells (sorry for the pedantry). It's common in dogs with highest incidence in young adults younger than 4 years of age. It usually manifests as a solitary, rapidly growing, firm, well-circumscribed, erythematous (reddened), raised, alopecic dermal nodule that ranges from 0.5 to 4 cm in diameter. Lesions may be ulcerated and occur most commonly on the head, ear pinnae, and legs. Observation without treatment is reasonable because most lesions regress spontaneously within 3 months. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I should leave it and it should go away? But, watch for change in size, shape, color, and purulnet drainage?

Yes, I want you to "watchful wait". If I'm correct, it will reach a certain size and then crumble away within 12 weeks. There shouldn't be any exudate/drainage. Here's a pic of a more classic and mature histiocytoma:

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Wow. I'm a Nurse, but not for pets. Thank you so much and I will keep an eye on him. Have a good night.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 22 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?