Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I have a 20 month old female minature shepard/husky dog. She

Customer Question

I have a 20 month old female minature shepard/husky dog. She is fixed (about 1 year now) very healthy, happy & playful dog. Problem: she is leaking clear odorless liquid from what seems to be her annus. The vet expressed her anul glands 1 month ago for the first time. 2 days later she leaked while we slept on the bed. Same thing clear odorlees fluid. Only one other occurrence 1wk ago. All 3 times she is napping/sleeping. What do you think?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is Bella.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: Not that i can think of. Her vet has known her since she was 2 months old. This concerns me because she is house trained. I smelled all 3 and they are not urine. It' about 1/4 cup of fluid. Does this help? I hope.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 2 months ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 11 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is urine. It would and could only be urine. And when spayed female dogs leak urine, it is almost always when they are resting or sleeping. In about 5% of female dogs who are spayed, eventually they will develop spay-induced incontinence. This shows up as leaking urine when sleeping and resting. It can start slowly with just a few instances, and can progress to happening daily. The good news is that it is easily treatable with medication from your vet. The other possibility is that she has a urinary tract infection, and that is causing the sudden leakage. I recommend seeing your vet for a urinalysis to make sure there is no evidence of a UTI, and if all is normal, then your vet can prescribe the anti-incontinence medication as a trial to see if it helps.

Often, leaked urine does not smell strongly as we would expect it would, and it often seems to have no odor, so I can completely understand your confusion. But I can assure you that urine is what it is.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Bonuses are not necessary, but are appreciated, as they go directly to me rather than to the website. Best of luck.

Expert:  Ann M. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ann M.