Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My dog has been on meloxicam for 3 months, past few days it

Customer Question

My dog has been on meloxicam for 3 months, past few days it does not seem to be as effective as it has been. Can I double the dose?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: 15 yr old staffordshire. His back leg has lost all strength and the local vets put him on meloxicam. It was working the first few months , however, past two days he seems in pain and is putting no weight on it at all. Can I double up his dose?
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: No wounds. It's in his joints? Am I talking to a bot, or a real person?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog? I'm an assistant to the Veterinarian. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: He is old, X-rays were taken. All blood work is fine.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dexter
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 28 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How much does Dexter weigh and how many milligrams are you giving each day? Is he on any other medication at this time?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
He is on 25 mg s. Vet weighed him and calculated the dosage. About 70 lbs.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I am aware that my dog is dying. All I want to know is if I double his dose, will he be is less discomfort.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Waste of my time.

I understand what you're wanting to know and I am happy to assist. However, I do need to be certain that it can be done and that it will offer him relief. For that, I will need more information.

His Meloxicam dosage should be right at 3mg. You state that he's taking 25mg, but this seems too high. Can you tell me what strength of tablets you're using and how many are given at each dose?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 27 days ago.

Checking in. Were you able to confirm the dosage on the meloxicam?