petdrz.
petdrz., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

A border collie mix puppy 3 months old is scratching her

Customer Question

A border collie mix puppy 3 months old is scratching her belly. Near nibbles and "arm" pits.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Border collie's name?
Customer: Nala, and she is not on flea protection, but we haven't seen any either.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nala?
Customer: She was neutered a couple of weeks ago. That has healed nicely
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

Are there lesions or changes in the skin in the area that she is scratching?

Did your vet check her for this or do any sort of testing of the skin, like a skin scraping?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has a couple of small scabs near on her upper nipples. She has not been to our vet yet. Just released from the spca. She did have ear mites when they did her surgery and they treated them.
Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Airborne or food allergies can make a dog itch in the areas you are describing, but in a dog this young, the first biggest rule out would be the possibility of sarcoptic mange or scabies. It tends to affect the ventral part of the body first and can lead to itching and scabs/crusts, especially as it progresses. It is very contagious among dogs and coming form a shelter makes the odds higher that she could have been exposed. I would definitely have her examined and have a skin scraping performed as soon as possible, especially if you have other dogs.

Here is a link with more information about scabies in dogs. LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

petdrz.