Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog just ate a vitamin d tablet. Bentley and he's 3, The

Customer Question

My dog just ate a vitamin d tablet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bentley and he's 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bentley?
Customer: The pill is 50,000 IU D2 No, he's healthy
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How much does Bentley weigh and how long ago was this eaten?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
21 lbs and 5 mins ago

At this dose, he's consumed enough to cause problems. I would recommend taking him directly to your vet's clinic to induce vomiting. They will likely want to get baseline bloodwork and may also with to provide oral medication to keep him from absorbing additional vitamin D that may have made its way out of the capsule and into his GI tract. Future blood work will also likely be indicated.

Failing this, you'll need to induce vomiting at home using these directions and a FRESH bottle of hydrogen peroxide. http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Can you explain why vitamin D is toxic to dogs? What will happen

Too much vitamin D in the body will cause the calcium and phosphorus levels to rise in the body and cause kidney damage and failure. It is rapidly absorbed upon ingestion, which means acting quickly is in your pet's best interest.

Checking in. How is Bentley doing?