Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

HE HAS VOMITING, CLEAR DIARRHEA AND NO APPTITE. jUST STARTED

Customer Question

HE HAS VOMITING, CLEAR DIARRHEA AND NO APPTITE. jUST STARTED YESTERDAY. HE IS 14 WEEKS OLD
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: he got into cat fesus outside day the morning it started. it was my neighbors cat. The cat is healthy, so I don't think he would have contracted anything bad from her cat.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tikaani
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tikaani?
Customer: He is sleeping for the most part. He is not lethargic and still licks you when you talk to him. He still wags his tail, still tries to catch the little dog when he comes to the house when I take them out. Only thing is the vomiting, diarrhea and no appetite. He just seems like his tummy is upset. He eats grass when outside. I try not to let him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten anything else he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His tummy is not tender, his gums are pink, and moist. He chewed on a small piece of a stick. Nothing that would have hurt him I don't think. The stick was maybe a inch and a half long and did not splinter. We buy him dog bones in the pet department. He drinks. just did about 10minutes ago, hasn't thrown it up yet. He is laying on the floor behind my chair right now and seems calm.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I have to note that all feces are full of bacteria. So, even if that cat is healthy, eating cat feces could cause severe gut upset. As well, with his signs, we’d also have to consider other potential bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items, bones - even those from pet stores are potentially dangerous).

Now puppies this young with such dramatic upper and lower GI signs plus appetite loss are at high risk of dehydration, energy loss, and collapse. Therefore, we need to be very proactive here to get this settled. I will outline some supportive care for your little one but you need to tread with care and he may need to see his vet once they are open.

In regards ***** ***** care, to start, since he is a pup and therefore has limited body reserves, we need to keep an eye on his energy levels. Therefore, to start, if Tikaani is weak and lethargic at any point, we can try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into his and hopefully perk him up for us.

Otherwise, as long as Tikaani can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. And with him being so young and having upper and lower GI signs, we need to be very careful here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I am and have just posted my full reply above. Just in case you cannot see it, since you replied the same time, I will post again:

Otherwise, as long as Tikaani can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Since there is no blood involved do you think it is possibly just his stomach being upset versus anything serious as a virus, like parvo?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
His vomit is also clear in color.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hi again,

With the lack of blood, Parvo (as well as other viral gastroenteritis issues) is a bit lesser of a concern at this stage but certainly cannot be ruled out with his age and the severity of signs. Therefore, our aims here for the moment is to try to reduce his nausea, stabilize his gut, prevent dehydration, and keep him from collapsing. From there, we'd want his vet involved if he isn't settling completely in the next few hours and if they are they can test a stool sample to make sure we can rule out parvo as we treat him.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes for Tikaani,

Dr. B.

**Afterwards, please rate me by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )