Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

His nose is running, and he has to open his mouth to get

Customer Question

his nose is running, and he has to open his mouth to get air
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: zeke, he's about 4 or 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about zeke?
Customer: he has allergies
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help. A few questions to better assess what is happening.

1. If you lift his lip, are his gums pink?

2. Any coughing or sneezing?

3. Are you giving any medications for the allergies?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
we have just given him 2 benedryl about 30 minutes ago, he is coughing and sneezing a lot as well. his gums are pink but very light and they seem to look a little white too

I typically recommend 1 mg per pound of Benadryl every 12 hours. I want to make sure you gave an adequate dose of Benadryl.

If the gums are pale pink or white, that is concerning that he is not oxygenating well. That, combined with your concern for how he is breathing warrents a visit to your local ER vet. If he is having trouble breathing, there isn't anything I can have you do at home until a veterinarian does a hands on physical exam and listens to the heart and lungs with a stethoscope.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
he was recently given prednisone for it, but he has been off of that for about 3 weeks. he was on it for 3 weeks along with amoxicilian. and 2 months before that he was given prednisone for a month too. the vet we have been seeing isnt solving the problem and now my down is very sick. he cant breathe with his mouth closed, his nose wont stop running, it seems very uncomfortable and i can't see him like this anymore. he doesn't seem to be able to jump very much lately either
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
i do still have some prednisone left over, they gave me extra. would it help him? he seemed fine while he was on it.

I'd restart the prednisone now and then discuss better long term allergy options with your vet (like Apoquel or anti-histamines like hydroxyzine). I too do not like prednisone at high doses long term, but we need your pet breathing! If you do not feel your vet is fixing the problem, ask your friends who they are using and try someone new. You may get better results faster.