Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just threw up some small pieces of plastic,

Customer Question

My dog just threw up some small pieces of plastic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Apparently - though I'm not sure what the object was - we have noticed anything missing
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?
Customer: Her appetite has been normal otherwise
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ella - age 6
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She seems a little sad but OK - she just enjoyed some kibble
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has it been since she ate the kibble?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She ate kibble about five minutes ago
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her gums are pink/black
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sticky
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she seems to think I'm giving her a belly rub when I press on her tummy
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No diahhrea recently
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to that Ella isn't distressed over this. Though when our dogs eat plastic, we do need to tread with care. Often plastic will be rigid and can break with sharp edges leading to gut damage as well as potential blockage. As well, since we cannot be sure what she had, we won’t know if there is anymore left in the stomach.

With this all in mind, we will want to initiate supportive care while keeping a close eye on her. To start, since this plastic being brought up may be a hint of more plastic in the stomach, we can plan to give her a "Vaseline sandwich." To make this, you just want to spread Vaseline (or cat hairball treatment) over a piece of whole wheat bread, slather it on, and cover this with a second slice. This can then be hand fed to in pieces. I know it will sound odd but the aim here is that the bread will coat the any sharp bits and bulk up what is being passed in the gut. In the case of the Vaseline, this will act as a lubricant to aid sliding this through the GI with hopefully minimal damage.

Afterwards, we will want to start Ella on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will further encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on her. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on her stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, passing blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require her to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on her. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods and that she passed any other plastic bits without bother. Of course, any of those red flag signs I mentioned and we’d want to have a check with her vet to determine if there is more and whether there is any risk we need to address.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

All the best,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.