Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

She has been vomiting and panting, Not that I'm aware of,

Customer Question

She has been vomiting and panting
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I'm aware of
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rosie she is 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?
Customer: Not that Ivan think of
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

How long has this been going on?

Does your pup eat any non food items such as bones, rawhides, toys, sticks etc?

Could Rosie have gotten into any human food or does she normally eat any human food and if so what?

When did she last eat a dinner?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She does eat rawhide treats, she had dinner last night around 8 pm, she sometimes eats human food
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This started this morning she hasn't vomited for several hours but is still panting
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Even though they are touted as digestible treats, rawhids are not. If the dog swallows a large enough piece it can cause an obstruction of the bowel. This will show vomiting , lack of appetite or vomiting shortly after eating, diarrhea or change in stool and lethargy.

Panting can be a sign of pain so that also brings to mind the human food. Some human food is too fatty for dogs, ham, pork, steak, bacon, gravies, etc, and can cause pancreatitis so it is important to know what she ate and if if would be considered fatty.

What you can do is fast her for 24 hours to give her intestine the time they need to become less inflammed. Then feed a bland diet of boiled chicken (no fat, skin ,grease) and cooked white rice. Give only two tablespoons at first and if she holds that down you can give more in 4 hours.

Watch her gum color , capillary refill time and temperature. I will direct you to a site that will tell you how to do this. If any of those are off do not hesitate to see a Vet.

You can also try giving her pepcid now to settle the stomach

Pepcid http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Checking vital signs http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok I will try this and if she doesn't improve I will seek out a vet thank you
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome. Have a good night.