Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She is drooling and cant stand, Tina 8 months, No she just

Customer Question

She is drooling and cant stand
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tina 8 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tina?
Customer: No she just visit one and received shots two days ago
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 25 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How much does Tina weigh?
2) What breed?
3) Is she eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Hi what could this be?

With some additional information, I hope to be able to give you some ideas on what this could be.

1) How much does Tina weigh?
2) What breed?
3) Is she eating and drinking well?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
10 pounds chihuahua she was eating well this morning
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I have small children will any illness she has make my kids sick?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
My husband said she might have ate a small beef piece from lunch on the floor today could this be the cause?

It's not uncommon for small breed dogs like chihuahuas to have a delayed onset of soreness from vaccines and even a reaction to them. The drooling itself can be due to pain, anxiety, nausea, etc. Having eaten some beef, yes, this could very well be causing her to feel unwell. I, personally, would expect that this is due to nausea from the beef. If she does not improve by morning or worsens overnight, please have her examined.

If she is unwilling to eat at this time, this may indicate an upset stomach. You can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

If she is eating but lethargic this may be due to soreness or a reaction to the vaccines. You can give 1-2mg/pound of body weight of benadryl every 8-12 hours. For soreness, it would be ideal to have her examined by your vet and canine-safe NSAIDs given. In a pinch, we can use aspirin too. Dosage here:

If she was recently vet checked, it's unlikely that she has anything to pass on to your children. We become primarily concerned about intestinal parasites, which most vets check for during routine vaccine visits.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Regular pepcid and benadryld for humans?

That's correct. Both of these are OTC for humans. I apologize for the delay. The website didn't inform me that you had replied.

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 24 days ago.

Checking in. How is Tina today?