How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 14830
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

She is 8 pounds ate 2 ounces of m&m's what should I watch

Customer Question

She is 8 pounds ate 2 ounces of m&m's what should I watch for or do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ellie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellie?
Customer: No she's in good health I gave her anti nausea medication and anti poop meds from vet thinking it would settle not realizing she needs to get this OUT of her system. She's a papillion
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear about Ellie eating 2 ounces of milk chocolate M & M's.

There are several types of Lindt chocolate, so I am not sure how many ounces he ate.

An 8 pound pup would need to eat 1.2 ounces of pure milk chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and almost 2.5 ounces of milk chocolate to see hyper-excitability and an elevated heart rate.

At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.

The good news is that M & M's are not pure milk chocolate, and are candy coated, so although she ate 2 ounces of candy she did not eat 2 ounces of milk chocolate.

If it has already been 2 hours it is likely the chocolate is out of her stomach and it is probably too late to induce vomiting.

And you have already given her anti-nausea drugs.

At this point you may not be able change things much at home, all you can do is watch her for further symptoms now.

If it has been less than 2 hours you can try taking her to an emergency clinic to have them try to induce vomiting, but if she took a drug like Cerenia (maropitant) they may not be successful.

Since she has already had anti-nausea drugs, and she may not have eaten enough chocolate to cause her trouble, you can try a watch and see approach.

I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible and to get her out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder for long.

In most cases mild chocolate toxicity is out of their system in 24 to 48 hours. We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours.

It may help to with-hold food for the next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms.

If she seems at all nauseous to try and settle her stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help him feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if needed.

Then after her 12 hour food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet for the next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken or lean boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.

If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 beats per minute in a small dog), repetitive tremors, or seizures then she should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis for treatment. They can use injectable medications to control her heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall. But with the amount she ate you may not see any symptoms or only mild stomach upset.

Best of luck with Ellie, let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These were mini m&m's. So 2oz not full size m&m's. She's drinking an resting but will keep her on close watch gave her metronidazole and diarsanyl for I case she got the diarrhea is this ok will it help or hurt?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Guess I tried to fix the problem. Not knowing they want the dog to throw it up. So I jumped the gun thinking I didn't want her to not feel well.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

No worries, the mini M & M's contain even less chocolate than the regular M & M's so I think she may be OK, other than possible stomach upset just from eating more sugar than usual and an unusual for her food.

My only concern is that Diarsanyl contains dextrose too, which means she received even more sugar. Probably not what she needs and I wouldn't give any more of that.

She likely doesn't really need metronidazole either.

I would focus on feeding a bland diet, and Pepcid or Prilosec if needed for nausea.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara