PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She licked up Raid Ant & Roach killer, Grace, 3, no

Customer Question

She licked up Raid Ant & Roach killer
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Grace, 3
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about grace?
Customer: no
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 30 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Imiprothrin is the active ingredient in the Raid Ant and Roach killer. In larger volumes, this can be a toxic ingestion for dogs. However, most dogs won't consume enough to cause a major problem. In general, we consider this to be fairly safe to be used around dogs. Nausea, vomiting and diarrhea can all be seen from this type of ingestion. It would be wise to give her a small amount of milk to coat the stomach and also a dose of pepcid to reduce irritation. You can administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine). You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

If you notice any symptoms aside from GI concerns, have her examined promptly. Continue to feed her regularly on the schedule she is used to. If you want to avoid further GI complications, you can use boiled rice and chicken for a few days.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 29 days ago.

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Grace today?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 27 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?