Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My older dachshund, Buddy, has liver disease and diabetes.

Customer Question

My older dachshund, Buddy, has liver disease and diabetes. He takes denamarin, irsodiol, atipica and insulin shots. Last night he was sick to his stomach . Today he still doesn`t feel well and seems weak and won`t eat. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help with the diabetes. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** is adopted but I think he is 13 plus years old.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: He had cataract suregery and I give him diclofenac drops and ointment for his eyes
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When was the last time that Buddy had a full panel of blood work performed?
2) Are you checking his glucose at home?
3) When was the last insulin injection given?
4) When did he last eat normally?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Buddy had a liver panel done in June and his last insulin shot was last night. He ate normally last night and I haven`t been checking his insulin at home.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Buddy had a liver panel done in June. His last insulin shot was last. He ate normally last night and I haven`t checked his glucose levels at home

The best approach for Buddy at this time will be to take him in for an exam. Without him eating, his blood glucose is going to be at an unpredictable level. This may be part of why he's weak. Additionally, his liver disease may be playing a role. Both of these illnesses together can make it very difficult to appropriately treat a pet not feeling well without also causing more problems (like hyper/hypoglycemia). A recheck blood panel is indicated to determine if his liver values may have risen causing him to feel poorly, thus keeping him from eating normally. If all is well, your vet should be able to give injectable meds to make him feel better and give him back his appetite. With a current blood glucose, they can also tell you how much insulin to give and when.

If you wish to keep trying at home to get him to eat, I would try pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. You can also try boiled or baked (no butter or oils or spices) proteins like chicken breast, ground turkey, lean beef, etc.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Good morning, JACustomer. How is Buddy doing today?