Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

We have an 18 month old dog who is starting to urinate in

Customer Question

We have an 18 month old dog who is starting to urinate in the house.
We're not even sure when she's doing it, but we're finding wet spots.
She will urinate outside....and goes out frequently with our other dog.
We had her in a crate at night and about a month ago, we allowed her out to sleep with us. I know...bad idea.
What should we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long has this been an issue?
2) Are you seeing any other changes such as alterations in food and water consumption?
3) Is she spayed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would say it's been an issue for about a month. No other issues. Food fine. She drinks lots of water...always has. She's so active. She is spayed

Excellent. Thank you for the additional info.

Allowing her to sleep with you is not likely to be the primary cause for accidents in the house. An 18 months old spayed female dog is, however, likely to have a urinary tract infection with these symptoms. I would recommend having her examined by your vet and her urine checked for abnormalities. Chance are your vet will locate bacteria and place her on a course of antibiotics and the urination in the house should stop once the UTI is treated.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your girl today?