Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

He swallowed a large push pin, Ranger 6mo Shepherd, 43 lbs,

Customer Question

He swallowed a large push pin
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ranger 6mo Shepherd
JA: How old is Ranger?
Customer: 43 lbs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ranger?
Customer: No. he acting fine. I was going to give him cotton balls to swallow hoping that would help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

How long ago did Ranger swallow it?

And you're positive he swallowed the pin?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
About 20 minutes ago. Oh yes! He is notorious for attacking anything that falls on the floor. It fell and we both raced to it and he got it before I did. I yelled no which made him want it more, -and I grabbed him and opened his mouth but it was gone
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 month ago.

Okay...great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Since it happened so recently, the absolute best thing to do is to have him seen by an emergency vet right away. They'll be able to use an endoscope to remove the pin before it gets too far into the digestive tract.

We don't want it to go through the whole body because they're known to perforate (poke through) the intestinal tract which causes that material to spill into the abdomen, and that can be have him seen right now.

If you're not sure where the nearest ER vet is, you can go to: ***** ***** plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 29 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?