Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I was just in the other room, and he seemed to have gotten a

Customer Question

hello i was just in the other room, and he seemed to have gotten a hold of some Witch Hazel astringent I'm not sure how full the bottle was, so I don't know if he got any or if he ingested a lot or what the deal is
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name's***** still pretty young -- maybe 4-6 months?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about 's?
Customer: no, that's about it
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 26 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now this doesn't tend to be something they are overly keen to drink much of. And if they do, we often know because it usually causes sudden drooling and you should be able to smell it on his breath. Therefore, if you don't see this and his breath doesn't smell like the astringent, then we can breathe a sigh of relief. Though if it does, then we'd want to flush Tucker's mouth with cool water to remove as much residue as possible.

Further to this, since this can cause gut upset (vomiting, appetite loss, etc), we'd want to monitor him closely and try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Further to this, if we see any hints of nausea, then we can also treat with an OTC antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, if he did get into this then we'd suspect him to not have much. Though if you smell this on Tucker's breath, then the above can be used over the next 24 hours to keep his stomach settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )