Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My 2 yr old golden doodle will not drink unless I hold the

Customer Question

My 2 yr old golden doodle will not drink unless I hold the bowl to his mouth. He is playing and eating normal. Regular stools not vomiting. We hot him over the summer and he drank a lot at least two bowls a day
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When we got him he would inhale his food and water as soon as I put it out. Often resulting in throwing it up He has learned to slow down. He does get some prettt bad gas though. It was bad when he first got here but was on a "diet" food we took him off due to the fact he actually was able to play here and that was reason for Weight gain. He did just have gas again
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian, and would like to assist you. I will respond quickly after reviewing your question.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Since your guy is otherwise normal, this condition of no drinking out of his bowl may be due to fear of this bowl. Something may have happened that frightened your guy making him fearful of that bowl. Try another type of bowl or other kind of bowl for water. It also may help to use a DAP Collar. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease his anxiety towrds this bowl. This can be purchased at the pet store and may be helpful. There is nothing wrong with your sweet guy and this is fairly common so you are not alone. Try different types of bowls until you find one that does not frighten your guy or get him used to it. This may take some time but he will eventually get over this. I actually had this happen to one of my own dogs and it was a struggle to get him unafraid of the bowl and it took a plastic plate rather than a stainless steel bowl to get him over whatever caused this fear.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****