PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue

She is heat and standing for the male, but he will not mount

Customer Question

She is heat and standing for the male, but he will not mount her. I know the timing is correct because of a cell test. all the licking , loving, cuddling but no mount. Is there anything I can do to help it out?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Did you read my question?
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: Not sure you read my question, no dog is hurt? She is in HEAT
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no both very healthy and both 2 1/2 years old
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has the male been used for breeding before?
2) Are you familiar with assistance techniques?
3) Have you considered having the male collected and her inseminated?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the male has not been bred before,
yes, I am considering artificial but would rather not
What kind of assistance, I have read about techniques:holding female etc.

You'd need a second person. Youtube is a useful source. Try "Dog breeding assistance techniques" and similar. Essentially one person will keep the female in a standing position, the other will stimulate the male while he is in a position nearest her hind end. Once prepared, the male is then placed into position at her vulva. Most males will continue efforts to penetrate. Once this happens, ensuring that he does not slip out and a tie is achieved is your best bet at a successful breeding. Be absolutely certain that she is not only standing but flagging him AND that the person responsible for holding the female knows what they're doing with restraint. Some females will become stressed and turn to bite the male, which can blow the chance at him being willing to try again now and in the future.

At 2.5 years of age, he may simply be a little too young yet to understand his role.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I guess I knew all that. Not sure what to do from here.

I would secure a friend and work toward seeing if you can achieve a tie through assistance. If not, AI may be your best bet.

Also, you can contact your vet and see if they are willing to help with breeding. In some cases the male just needs some direction and he will take it from there. In any case, it sounds like someone is going to have to help move the situation forward as he's unwilling or unsure of what to do.

Checking in, Katie. Any luck so far?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 29 days ago.
Hi Katie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?