Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Daisy is 20lbs and is a shihtzu that has allergies. Her

Customer Question

Daisy is 20lbs and is a shihtzu that has allergies.
JA: I'm sure Daisy feels you are doing your best. What seems to be the problem with Daisy?
Customer: Her hives are really bad on her back and her ears. I was going to give her benedryl
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?
Customer: No she is healthy. She is eats well. She wants her walks. Everything about Daisy is still great. Her allergies have been worse this year.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 9 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) What strength of benadryl do you have?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I haven't bought any yet. I am waiting to hear what I can give her first if any.

The tablets are the easiest. She can have up to 40mg (1-2mg/pound of body weight) every 8-12 hours. The tablets come in 12.5mg. I would avoid the liquid as many companies are using xylitol these days to sweeten it and that can be toxic to dogs.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is Daisy doing?