Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

I have a 12 week puppy, he vomited earlier this morning, Not

Customer Question

I have a 12 week puppy, he vomited earlier this morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of, I was at work. But my sister said he was eating fine.
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** a siberian husky
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rocco?
Customer: I just got him a couple of days ago, he's 12 weeks and needs his 12 week vaccination
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, I just have a few questions for you about Rocco so that i can better assist you.

1. Do you know if he has had any distemper/parvo vaccinations thus far?

2. What kind of environment was Rocco in prior to you getting him? - shelter, breeder, etc?

3. How many times has he vomited, and what did it look like?- yellow, clear, food, etc

4. Are you feeding him the same food he was eating previously?

5. Is he acting normally, or somewhat lethargic?

6. Are his tools normal, slightly runny or diarrhea?

Thanks- Dr. C

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The previous owner did tell me he had two vaccinations.He was with all the other puppies and his mother.3 times he had vomited from what I notice. Two times white and I think once yellow.I'm actually feeding him puppy food by the brand of blue but he was eating Iams brand before.He's been acting normal and very active.He had diarrhea two days ago but starting to become normal.I started worrying when I started reading about distended tummy on dogs.

I would recommend having him checked out by your veterinarian first thing tomorrow, or overnight by an emergency vet if he starts acting lethargic or develops diarrhea. Hopefully it's just the food change that is causing the vomiting. The distended tummy could be due to intestinal parasites, which can be easily treated with appropriate deworming medications. You should feed a bland diet of plain boiled chicken and white rice after he has stopped vomiting for at least 4 hours. Hope this helps, but please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you! - Dr. C

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks a lot I will go ahead and do that. Do you think it's something I should worried about? He's been eating fine without any problems.

Hi, I'm so sorry for the delay in response! I got called into work for an emergency surgery. I would be much more worried if he was lethargic or also having diarrhea, or if he wasn't eating and continued to vomit, because parvovirus is always a concern in a puppy who may have not been taken care of properly. The fact that the previous owner only told you that he had two previous vaccines and didn't give you actual vet records always raises red flags for me. But hopefully, he checks out fine tomorrow and he can get dewormed, started on heartworm prevention and get his distemper/parvo vaccine. I would still have him "live in a bubble" until 1 week past his next round of vaccines (at 15 or 16 weeks). - Dr. C

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?