Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital

Misty - Six yr old Weimaraner with swollen right loin. She

Customer Question

Misty - Six yr old Weimaraner with swollen right loin. She is favoring her right back leg. It started two days okay and today it is more swollen and noticeable. We just went through a round of cancer with our other weim so I know that the swelling is not a mass. Our vet is in the hospital so I have to find another to take her to. I'm hoping you can give me advice. Can I giver her coated aspirin?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help. I do not typically recommend any over the counter human pain meds for dogs. There have been several studies that show any form causes stomach ulcers. I would keep her rested overnight (no running, jumping, if we go outside, it's on a leash for a very short potty walk). This way, your new vet that you see tomorrow can easily start pain meds without needing a waiting period (if you give anything OTC, your pets needs a 2-3 day period of no meds, as they increase the risk of stomach ulcers together).

Do you have any medications started by your vet from your other weimaraner?

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.