Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

4 day old pup is trying to feed of mum but cant suckle he

Customer Question

4 day old pup is trying to feed of mum but cant suckle he seems to bit his tongue don't curl around mums nipple
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Roxy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxy?
Customer: No all been ok
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. You may have to go to the pet or farm store and get a bottle or get an eye dropper and and feed the pup until you see it suckle from the mom. If you use an eye dropper dribble the forumula between the cheek and gums not directly down the throat. IF it goes directly down the throat then the pup could aspirate.

You may also want to try a lady''s make up sponge, cut it to a small triangle and dip it in formula then put it to the pups mouth, the pup may be able to suckle off of that easier. Here is a video of how to do this. YOu can see she is using a syrnge but dipping it should work

Expert:  Sally G. replied 30 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.