Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

My 11 year old Bracco Italiano (we rescued him at 4 years)

Customer Question

My 11 year old Bracco Italiano (we rescued him at 4 years) was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma 3 years ago and given a short time to live. Vets can't believe he is still here,do you think a mistake was made in diagnosis. He has been on Thyroxine since we owned him and has regular blood tests. He has a heart murmur and is showing severe signs of dementia.He sleeps all day and is very lethargic does not want to go out. He sleeps by the side of my bed and is up and down all through the night and seems very confused. We have to force him to go out (in a nice way of course)to toilet,today 20 hours have passed and he has not past urine or indicating to go out,also he does not drink very much at all. Please advise,also would it be kinder to let him go to Rainbow bridge. So worried about my special man a real gentleman. Yours sincerely Marilyn
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

How was the melanoma originally diagnosed? Were tissue samples sent to a pathologist?