Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

She didnt urinate last night and this morning she urinated

Customer Question

she didnt urinate last night and this morning she urinated in her kennel i didnt realize it and when i went to walk her droplets of blood came out insteqad
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: there is no wound anywhere i checked
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: kayla and she is 2.5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about kayla?
Customer: nope she is perfectly healthy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Is Kayla spayed?

Is she eating/drinking normally?

What do you feed her?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is spayed
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
she is eating normally and drinking
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we feed her natural balance duck and sweet potato mix
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog isn't feeling well. Unfortunately, bleeding during urination can be caused by many things that range from the rather benign (like a urinary tract infection) to the more dangerous (such as bladder cancer). In addition, there are issues like bladder stones or kidney disease that can present with bloody urine.
Stones are caused by things such as minerals in the urine, bacteria, certain medications, an excess of Vitamin C in the diet or even their diet (which can affect the pH of the urine). There are some breeds that are more prone to stones than others (such Poodles, Yorkies Shih Tzus and Schnauzers) although any breed can get them (I have a Maltipoo who has had them twice!). Usually a course of antibiotics and a diet change to a prescription diet takes care of the problem.
Kidney disease can happen in any breed and unfortunately, at most any age. The contributing factors can include dehydration, cardiac issues, tumors, blood loss from traumas and both infections and ingestion of toxins. Even some medications can impair kidney function and lead to kidney disease. Generally this is treated with supportive care to keep the dog comfortable and to help improve kidney function.
Bladder cancer generally affects middle-aged or older dogs. Although not nearly as common as some of the other possibilities, I wanted to mention this as well since it is ofen over-looked as a cause of bloody urine especially if the dog is otherwise healthy and hasn't had any long-term issues.
Urinary tract infections (also known as UTIs) are the number one most common cause for bloody urine in dogs. The infection can be located anywhere in the urinary tract from the bladder to the kidneys and in unneutered male dogs, even in the prostate. Certain medications and underlying health problems such as diabetes or viral infections can also lead to UTIs.
The important thing is to have your pup seen by a vet as soon as possible for evaluation of the blood in the urine. Bloody urine is never 'normal' and can get worse if left untreated. Your vet will likely want to run a urinalysis, so if you can catch urine from your dog before going (you can catch it up to 24 hours before your appointment, just keep it in a clean, closed container in your fridge. Do not leave it out of the fridge as that will cause bacteria to grow in the urine and may give you false positives). Hopefully it'll end up being nothing too severe, but early intervention is the key.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is there anything that i can do without going to the vet as they can be expensive for really no reaso nis there anything i can check
she is acting normal playing fetch catching and being hyper as normal
Expert:  Lisa replied 2 months ago.

There's really nothing you can check at home...bleeding during urination really needs to be seen by a vet. Because she's young and spayed, I strongly suspect we're going to find out it's a UTI, and then it's just some antibiotics to get things cleared up.