Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

She has a cut on her ear my other dog bit her. It's a

Customer Question

She has a cut on her ear my other dog bit her. It's a straight cut about 1/4"
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: Yes when she shakes her head
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your girl has a bite wound to her ear that is bleeding when she shakes her head.

Ears have a very good blood supply and little skin and soft tissue on them so a scratch or bite tends to bleed profusely and is very difficult to get to stop bleeding and heal. Of course ears are very difficult to bandage too as the weight of the bandage on the ear tends to cause the bandage to slide off, or down the ear which can cut off circulation, making things worse.

Since this is a bite would she should be seen by her veterinarian and get on antibiotics. Bite wounds easily become infected.

In the meantime you can try to keep it clean by clipping the hair in the area around and over the bite wound very short and use a solution mix of Betadine solution (povidine iodine solution) and warm water, made to look like weak tea, to clean it. Clean the affected area daily. Make sure you get the solution, not the scrub. This is an antibacterial and there is need to rinse this, let it dry on her skin. It does stain horribly though so you probably want to do this outside. Clipping the hair stops bacteria from wicking into the site so helps decrease that source of infection. Then pat dry and apply an antibacterial ointment, such as Polysporin or Neosporin, and place a telfa (non stick gauze pad) over the cut. Gently flip her ear back over her head so it lays flat on top of her head. Use non-stretchy gauze and wrap it around the bottom of her head and up over her head and flattened ear on her head in a figure 8 manner several times so it doesn't slip. Do not wrap too tightly as that will cut of circulation. Secure the front end and back end of the gauze wrapped area on top of her head with masking tape to her fur. Masking tape is difficult to pull too tightly and won't pull her fur out when the bandage is changed. See this video for a general idea:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FQ0JopKfY0 They apply padding and self adhesive bandage which usually isn't necessary for short term bandaging. They do not apply tape at the front as I recommend to secure the bandage to the fur because they use adhesive wrap. I don't recommend adhesive wrap to pet owners because it is too easy to wrap it to tightly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****