Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.

My 12-lb female puppy Tesla just ate a 4-5 inch strip of

Customer Question

My 12-lb female puppy Tesla just ate a 4-5 inch strip of duct tape. Should I induce vomiting?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if Tesla will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tesla?
Customer: Nothing occurs to me.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Tesla.

This is one of those situations where the duct tape might cause more irritation on the way up than it did on the way down. In addition, I wouldn't expect that she would become obstructed from the ingestion of this amount of duct tape even though she's such a small dog herself.

This material isn't likely to be broken down by stomach acids but it is likely to move through her intestines with no significant issues...although she may develop looser stools in 12-24 hours or so.

If she were my patient, I'd encourage you to feed her whole wheat bread (additional fiber) as well as a meal to help coat the tape. I'd walk her more frequently than normal which can help to increase transit time.

I'd monitor her stools for evidence of the tape but not become overly concerned if you don't see if for a few days; it may remain in her stomach before passing into her intestines.

Signs to monitor on the slightest chance that the tape has caused problems for her would be vomiting, loss of appetite, lethargy and/or abdominal pain. If such signs develop, a vet visit may be prudent.

I hope this helps to reassure you that she's likely to be just fine. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 26 days ago.
Hi Patrick,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb