Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog just ate a cliff bar that has 22 grams of sugar. He

Customer Question

My dog just ate a cliff bar that has 22 grams of sugar. He weighs 25 pounds, French bulldog. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your French bulldog will be able to digest that. What is the French bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Louis he is 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louis?
Customer: No
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What flavor of bar was this?

Does Louis have any medical disorders for which he's being treated?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sierra Trail Mix
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No medical disorders
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello? Are you there?

Here are the ingredients for the Sierra Trail Mix bar: Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Organic Rolled Oats, Organic Raisins, Organic Peanuts, Soy Protein Isolate, Rice Flour, Organic Cane Syrup, Organic Peanut Butter, Organic Roasted Soybeans, Organic Oat Fiber, Dried Cane Syrup, Organic Soy Flour, Unsweetened Chocolate‡, Pumpkin Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Organic Date Paste, Sea Salt, Cocoa Butter‡, Natural Flavors, Barley Malt Extract, Sunflower Oil, Vanilla Extract, Soy Lecithin, Mixed Tocopherols (Antioxidant). ALLERGEN STATEMENT: CONTAINS SOY AND PEANUTS. MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF MILK, WHEAT, AND TREE NUTS.

You've got more concerns on your hands than the sugar, however, as raisins are present and chocolate. Both of these are known to be toxic to dogs. I doubt the chocolate is enough to cause major issues for a dog this size, but the raisins are of major concern as even a minute amount can cause acute renal failure.

More info here: http://veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/raisins-and-grapes-potentially-lethal-treats-dogs

I would recommend inducing vomiting if the consumption happened in the last 2 hours following these instructions and using a FRESH bottle of hydrogen peroxide: http://www.sunrisepetclinicaz.com/vomiting.html

It would also be wise to have your companion examined by a vet this evening and to get baseline blood work run now and a recheck a few days in the future to be sure that renal problems weren't caused by the ingestion. Some vet clinics will recommend overnight hospitalization on IV fluids following such an ingestion. If you cannot get him to vomit promptly or at home, take him to an ER this evening and allow them to do this.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?