Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

There is something skinny and hard stuck about an inch out

Customer Question

There is something skinny and hard stuck about an inch out of my dogs butt
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** is one year and 10 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: She keeps licking her butt, however won't try to pass it. And when we touch it she freaks out and hides
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Can you please post a picture so that I can see what you are describing thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hold on one second
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My phone isn't allowing me to attach the image
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nvm maybe it did

It did post. Is the tail off to the left? If that is hard, then it looks like Lucy is passing some foreign material. Did she get into anything unusual this past week? To help her, you can glove your hand and put a little vaseline, KY Jelly or oil on her anus to try and lubricate. You could also put her in the tub or sink (if small enough) and spray warm water on her anus to help. If she will not let you help her, then she may need to go into an emergency clinic tonight so that they can help her pass it. They would be able to give pain medications prior to helping gently remove it. Is Lucy trying to pass it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nothing unusual, we did cut off a little bit and it looks like a frayed rope...she isn't trying to pass it.

Okay, so rope that has made it that far will likely pass on its own. Watch for vomiting, loss of appetite and blood from her rectum. If any of these are noted then she needs to be seen by your local veterinarian. Definitely take away any rope toys if she is eating such large pieces.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If she is not trying to pass it And in pain and hiding when we try to help her should we take her in tonight or try cutting as much as we can and waiting to see if she will pass it by morning? All the normal vets are closed right now.

If she is acting painful then I recommend you have her seen tonight. If she is not terribly bothered by it, then you can wait until tomorrow. Have you walked her outside for a while to see if that will encourage her to try and defecate?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My fiance just took her on a bike ride, she usually poops quickly after running. She has no problem running or playing.

The visual is too funny! If she can run, then she is not painful enough to need to be seen at the emergency clinic tonight. Hopefully she will pass it soon. You can continue to post questions on this thread for a few days, even after rating. Let me know what she passes. Take care.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sounds good thank you!

Your welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?