Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital

4.5 week old puppy appears drunk walking to the right in

Customer Question

4.5 week old puppy appears drunk walking to the right in circles??? Was given a shot if penicillin sent home. Water on the brain?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes. Cries and falls down behavior starts again
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Puppy right now litter of 11 labs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Was wormed 6 days ago
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my response. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I need to ask a few questions about the puppy to get a better handle on what may be wrong. When did the puppy start the abnormal behavior? Has the puppy been nursing and eating well? When you said he was given a shot of penicillin, was that today and why? Were you told that the puppy has hydrocephalus (water on the brain) or were you just questioning that? Any possibility of trauma to the puppy? Can you post a short video of the behavior and a picture of the puppy's face? thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's in a text message how can I forward
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Puppy was taken to the vet because if this behavior. Was given a shot of steroids and penicillin. No improvement. Vet said possible water on brain

Okay, thank you. Hydrocephalus can cause neurologic behavior, but I would not expect it to just start causing profound neurologic behavior at this age. Did the vet check any bloodwork? I would be more concerned about a liver shunt or a low blood sugar causing this kind of behavior. Does the puppy get worse after eating? When did the neurologic behavior start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Puppy was exposed to poison sumac vine

Was the exposure before the signs of illness? did your vet run any bloodwork?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No blood work done
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Eyes dilated if lights on he screams
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Eyes face to the right same direction puppy circles. Can't eat. Is sleeping now.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Earlier today

Poison sumac would not cause those signs. If he is not able to eat, I worry that he has a low blood sugar. Hydrocephalus is a possibility. I would also make sure that you have a fecal run to make sure no internal parasites because you can see larval migration through the brain. To try and figure out what is causing this, you should have a complete blood count and a biochemical profile as soon as possible with your local veterinarian. It could also be a liver shunt. Bloodwork helps to diagnose a shunt. Depending on what the bloodwork shows, you may be able to manage the puppy medically.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Heading to the vet to put him down. He's suffering. A necropsy will be done

I think that is the kindest thing to do. I am so sorry. Take care.