Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Illy is a ten year old Pug cross. She has recently had a

Customer Question

Hi, Illy is a ten year old Pug cross. She has recently had a urinary tract infection which has been treated with Antibiotics. She has lost some ground recently..less active and now she has difficulty negotiatinf single steps...sometimes she just stands in the corner staring at the wall. This was not too alarming at first because she has always shown her displeasure by turning her back on us. We figured she was angry at the treatment...needles and tablets. Now we think it may be more than this.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Illy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Illy?
Customer: Not at the moment
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lily. Staring into corners, hugging the wall when aimlessly walking, circling, becoming less responsive to you, difficulty ambulating, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), and/or a change in social interaction with others are all symptoms of a change in mentation (mental status) indicative of encephalopathy (brain disorder). Both intracranial (within the skull) encephalopathies such as brain tumor or Pug necrotizing meningoencephalitis and extracranial encephalopathies such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys intoxicating the brain need to be considered. Please let Lily's vet know what you're seeing. Basic diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests are likely to be recommended in an attempt to identify an extracranial encephalopathy. If nothing untoward is seen, MRI would be necessary to identify an intracranial encephalopathy.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?