Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

She has been sleeping a lot more than usual, Her name is Mel

Customer Question

She has been sleeping a lot more than usual
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 14 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mel?
Customer: She has been eating and going to the bathroom just fine but she seems like she doesn't have much energy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 1 month ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full answer. Thank you.

At 14 months of age, depending on her breed and size, Mel may be going through a growth spurt. This is more likely in larger breed dogs. So, if Mel is not a great dane or mastiff, then there is likely another reason. I need to ask a few questions to get a better idea of what is going on. What type of dog is Mel? What part of the country do you live in? Do you use any flea/tick products? If so, when was the last one applied? Lets start there

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mel is a puggle and we live in Massachusetts. She has had a seresto collar for the past 3 months and I check her regularly for ticks. She also was at the vet 2 weeks ago and tested negative for heartworms

When she was at the veterinary hospital, did they give any vaccines? I live in Maine, so know the issues that we have with tick borne diseases. It is good that she had a heart worm test. Was it a combination test for lyme, ehrlichia, anaplasma and heart worm? It is called a 4 dx. Do you have a digital thermometer so that you can check her temperature? Normal temp is 99 to 102.9

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
she had a rabies vaccine and a bordatella shot. the blood test was a 4dx. She also had a DA2P? Not too sure what that is. She did however have an ear infection that I have been giving her ear drops for

Okay. Has she been shaking her head at all or holding her head tilted? I suspect that the three vaccines coupled with the ear infection and then medications are a stress on her immune system. I typically do not recommend small dogs receive more than two vaccines at a time. Does she have any swelling or tenderness at her vaccine sites?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She shakes her head from time to time but she has been doing that since I can remember. She doesn't have any swelling and the inside of her ears have cleared up. Is it typical to see such a delay in fatigue from the vaccinations? Part of me thinks that I'm being too worrisome but I just want to be safe. I took her out a few times for some extended walks as I do frequently and she seems fine while we are out and about. I just find it odd that she is sleeping so much all of a sudden

Vaccine reactions can be immediate (within a few hours), delayed ( within a few days) and significantly delayed (occur a few weeks to months after vaccine). The delayed reactions are usually associated with swelling and discomfort at the site and may cause minor irritation but are not life threatening, as opposed to the acute reaction. It is a little odd that she is sleeping more at this age. I have a 15 -16 yr old Pug and she sleeps all the time, but was a wild child at that age. She could also be tired if you took her for longer walks than normal.