Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

We can hear my boxer kind of dragging one of her back legs.

Customer Question

we can hear my boxer kind of dragging one of her back legs. had xray-showed she is full of arthritis and spondoloysis. was on steroids. seemed a little better
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound was att
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: vet Bella is 9 sweetest boxer every ever
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: you cant see her dragging it; you can hear it
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no. I asked if she could have DM. He was not sure. I called the breeder and to date no one else has DM.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mother just died in Jan at 15 and father had massive heart attack 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Bella, Patti. The sound of her dragging her hind legs indicates a lack of conscious proprioception - not knowing where one's limbs are in space. This occurs secondary to myelopathies (spinal cord disorders) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk"), fibrocartilaginous embolism/FCE - an interruption in the blood supply to the spinal cord, neoplasia (cancer) in or around the spinal cord, degenerative myelopathy, and advanced osteoarthritic changes in the spinal column causing spinal cord compression.

Spondylosis is an incidental finding but the arthritis found in the X-rays - particularly if found in the caudal (toward the tail) spinal column causing the cauda equina syndrome - can be an important differential diagnosis for her lack of conscious proprioception. I'll continue on in a minute.

Conservative care invoves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. Surgical intervention is an option but MRI should be performed first in order to determine where Bella's spinal cord is being compressed. Her arthritis and spondylosis will mask the truly problematic area in her spinal cord. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do u prescribe medications ?

I regret that we're not allowed to prescribe through this venue. Bella's attending vet needs to prescribe meds. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.