Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital

She weighs22.2 lbs and I think she ate a 5 mg ambien, Lizzie

Customer Question

She weighs22.2 lbs and I think she ate a 5 mg ambien
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lizzie and she will be two in November
JA: How old is Lizzie?
Customer: Two in November
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lizzie?
Customer: No she is a healthy corgi
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is***** but you can call me Dr. H, and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that your pet ingested an Ambien 5 mg today. Give me a moment to type up my response on what this means for your pet and what, if any additional treatment is needed.

So Ambien has been implicated as causing some adverse effects in dogs at higher dosages. However the good news is that most of this drug shows side effects within 1 hr that typically resolve within 12 hrs.

At a dosage of 0.2mg/kg this benzodiazepine has been shown to cause sedation and ataxia (drunken walk) in dogs.

At a dosage of 0.6mg/kg and above it has been shown to cause a paradoxical hyperexcitability and tachycardia.

Lizzie received 0.49 mg/kg so you can expect to see sedation and ataxia that should resolve within 12 hrs time.

I don't recommend inducing vomiting for Lizzie at this time. I would just monitor her for now and make sure she doesn't get any more accidental ingestion of the medication. : )

- Dr. H