Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

Major hair loss! And today all of a sudden she started

Customer Question

Major hair loss! And today all of a sudden she started shaking really bad
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is about 1. What do you recommend to treat the hair loss?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Miah?
Customer: Not that I can think of, I'm just really worried about her
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

What breed of dog is Miah?

What area is the hair loss prominent?

How long has this been going on?

Any chewing or licking going on?

Have you spotted any fleas?

Have you had any testing done for thyroid?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The area is mainly on the back and butt, that hair started about a month ago. No licking or chewing that I have seen. She did have fleas a while ago but my mom got rid of them
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for that information. I would suspect that it was the fleas that started it. Dogs can have an allergic reaction to the flea's saliva so it only takes a few bites and that can start a major problem. This can take months to get over and only time will regrow the hair. It is important to make sure that there is no further damage to the skin and coat through licking or chewing so if you are not sure, then get a cone collar from a pet store and so the dog cannot access the area.

To help strengthen the skin and coat you can add coconut oil to the daily meal and I will direct you to a link for dosing this out. Warm it up and then pour it over the food.

coconut oil dosing

Flea allergy dermatitis

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay thank you! Also I have one more question, if my dog does get fleas in the future. What should I do to get rid of them?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 month ago.

they best bet is to use either a monthly flea preventative product such as Frontline or a collar called Seresto which lasts for 8 months.