Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Toy breed, can't seem to get comfortable. ..back legs twitch

Customer Question

Toy breed, can't seem to get comfortable. ..back legs twitch a lot, when sleeping, when being held. ..
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Think back injury, neck. ..what to give, do
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Older, got at pound 12 yrs agi,bad shape, so they said he was 1-3 yrs old, teeth looked so bad already they thought m maybe Olde r
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Taylor
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Has Taylor had any x-rays performed of his back and hips recently?
2) On any medications?
3) Are you seeing difficulty walking? Squatting to urinate or defecate? Refusal to use stairs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Stairs only issue, one set more slippery so sometime slips, but still willing to try. I have started taking him upstairs not letting him to them, only do maybe this outside, and this is helped a little. The main thing is I can see he's having trouble getting comfortable to fall asleep and his daytime napping. Not so much at night he seems to sleep pretty well through the night. I have some Tramadol I have given him, little aspirin, little Gabapentin even... But he is only 8 pounds so I follow dosage stuff. I live on an island off the coast of Maine presently Kama so seeing as it is a pretty big issue, and my finances are a mess so I can hardly afford one anyway. Just checking out this organization that you represent... Since it has a money back guarantee kind of thing. And I am trying to get more and more accustomed to using the internet for my needs... But this time they are his needs, my dog Taylor. When I got him he was in pretty bad shape, I got him from the pound, but already that's 2004, so this is just started the last couple of months. Thanks.!

Ideally, we'd like to see Taylor first have some hip and back x-rays. Chances are he's developed some arthritis over the years.

If he has not already been started on a joint supplement, it's time. This is my favorite one for small breed dogs. It takes a few weeks of daily dosing to see the most benefit:

As well, if you're using aspirin, be sure you're using the right dosage for him. He's a tiny tot, so it doesn't take much to overdose. Dosage here:

It would be ideal to have him on a canine-safe NSAID instead of just pain medication, but that would require an exam and prescription. Something like rimadyl, deramaxx, meloxicam, etc.

Dosages for, make sure not to overdose these too.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thku...what is anti inflammatory I cam give&how much. ..ibuprifin?? But how much for 8lbs??
Don't know this site yet, but will find the rating place
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
At work. ..can get right back

Do not give any ibuprofen or acetaminophen. To help with inflammation, aspirin is the best thing you can give OTC.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought I read you can do ibuprofen, just the dosing wasnt clear so I didn't yet. What do u think of it herbal muscle relaxers? Again, I have no choice than to do on the skinny, OTC excetera...THKS!

Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are both medications known to be toxic to dogs. If you had to chose to give something, aspirin is much safer.

Herbal medication would also be another option, as well as massage. More info here: