Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have 2 16 week old puppies 1 had diarrhea for 4 days got

Customer Question

I have 2 16 week old puppies 1 had diarrhea for 4 days got it under control then I gave them baths and put coconut oil and water on them for allergies and itching and the one with diarrhea licked the other and now has diarrhea again.. rice and yogurt isn't working.I have pepto and Imodium but haven't given don't remember dosage from my older larger dogs that have passed away
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bently
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bently?
Customer: No..utd on shots just bad skin allergies..he is all white
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, please note that Imodium is not safe for small dogs or puppies. It can only be used in larger dogs since the safe dosing range is a very small one. Therefore, that needs to be avoided. Instead, you can use Pepto Bismol with care. The dose is 0.5 ml per pound per day and that total should then be divided into 3-4 doses spread over the day. Furthermore, since your light diet hasn't a protein source, do consider adding boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk) to the rice. There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Furthermore, fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) can also be added to bulk the stools up quicker and help settle this wee one.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )