Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My yorkie is a 2 years and 9 months old. his SGBT value

Customer Question

My yorkie is a 2 years and 9 months old. his SGBT value increased from 90 to 120 in one month during which he was given cheese. What food may cause sgbt to increase. All other liver enzymes are normal. He is healthy and energetic.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Stewie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stewie?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 month ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now SGBT is an enzyme in liver cells that work to metabolize proteins. Their appearance in the bloods usually isn't related to foods we feed but instead represent damage and leaking of those liver cells. So, we do need to watch what Stewie eats but also need to keep an eye on his general liver function and whether he has any exposure/access to toxins (ie dangerous plants he may chew, chemicals, etc). Though in regards ***** ***** question, we generally want to avoid foods that overly fatty (cheese being an example of that) but also those high in protein. Therefore, you will want to avoid giving plain chicken, beef, pork, or fish. He can of course have normal dog food, but perhaps use one that is lower in protein to reduce the metabolic workload of the liver cells and thus reduce their being damaged or struggling to function properly.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )